Does your senior loved one have arthritis? Do you need tips on how to help them cope with and learn to live with it? Home Instead Senior Care presents an informative video series on arthritis and various aspects of the disease.
As highlighted by Marzia Puccioni Shields, one Area Vice President of the Arthritis Foundation, there are four common forms of arthritis:
- Osteoarthritis: the most common form, a degenerative disease affecting over 21 million Americans over the age of 45
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: a systemic disease affecting almost 2.1 million Americans
- Fibromyalgia: an arthritis-related disease which usually affects women and is associated with widespread muscle-pain and impact pressure pain.
- Juvenile Arthritis: affecting children under the age of 18 this systemic disease affects internal organs and is associated with very high fevers
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Approximately 50 million Americans are diagnosed with arthritis and by the year 2030 that number is estimated to be 67 million.
- More than 21 million Americans suffer from some degree of limitation due to arthritis.
- The disease costs America more than $128 billion in lost wages and productivity annually.
Please watch the first of a seven-part video for an overview on arthritis and please visit the Arthritis Foundation website for additional resources. Then, join our future blogs as we share additional information on caregiving suggestions for arthritis patients.
We love to hear from you! If you have a story to share, please join the conversation below or on our Caregiver Forum.
We hope this was helpful. If you have any questions or if you know of a senior who could benefit from our vast array of home care services in the Fairfax area , please call us at 703.750.6644, or email us. We accept most long term care insurance as payment and have a full time staff of trained and certified home care personnel covering the Fairfax County, Virginia area.