We spend a lot of our time here discussing various stress-relieving tips for the family caregiver.
February is the American Heart Association’s American Heart Month. Heart Month is a time to take a timeout for ourselves and evaluate OUR health.
Heart disease, including stroke, remains the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States.
You are at higher risk of heart disease if you are:
- A woman age 55 or older
- A man age 45 or older
- Or a person with a family history of early heart disease
Heart disease can be prevented.
To keep your heart healthy:
- Watch your weight
- Quit smoking and stay away from secondhand smoke
- Control your cholesterol and blood pressure
- If you drink alcohol, drink in moderation
- Get active and eat healthy
- Talk to your doctor about taking aspirin every day if you are a man over the age of 45 or a woman over 55
- Manage stress!
Again, manage stress! Please visit our website www.caregiverstress.com for valuable tips on managing stress as a family caregiver.
And, if you have comments to share about our blog, please join the discussion below or on the Caregiver Forum!